The exhibition Lord of the Flies is prepared by the group of artists Rafani.
The group takes the place of a curator.
The result will balance between a consensus and a compromise.
The medium of individual works is not important when searching for the meaning of the exhibition.
What is more important is the type of depiction, a certain inclination.
The composition of the exhibition The Lord of the Flies will and will not be determining, it will and it will not be determined.
The selected paintings are broken away from texts and interpretations.
Forget about Golding.
Richard Adam is not the Lord of the Flies.
And the artists are not his flies.
- Lord of the Flies00:00:01.453
- The exhibition was impulsed by Richard Adam who wanted us to do something about his collection.00:00:15.427
- He regards the Art Group Rafani as individuals united in a weird group00:00:19.817
- he doesn't really understand. He perceives us rather via00:00:24.370
- the artefacts we do individually. We decided to work with his archive00:00:27.896
- and looked at his drawing depository but then decided to choose completely different00:00:34.695
- artists he hasn't got in his collection. We gathered a lot of interesting materials00:00:42.923
- and joined them together in a book we tore in the end.00:00:50.043
- The exhibition structure was determined by the convention discord00:00:54.739
- given by alphabetical order and by random arrangement of the panels.00:01:02.432
- The viewers have to find the order themselves when looking around the exhibition.00:01:07.266
- At the beginning we were considering drawings, then we decided to treat it like a book,00:01:14.877
- or like magazine pages lets say, that also have a pagination...00:01:20.206
- We put it together as if we were paging a book,00:01:25.656
- but then we tore it like this and strewed it around the gallery.00:01:29.233
- As for the exhibition on the whole...00:01:37.815
- As we knew about the gallery disposition and their use of travels00:01:40.139
- that can't be even removed, we made use of them in a chaotic way,00:01:48.930
- but they are numbered so the viewers can see how we handled them.00:01:54.467
- They look like book pages we strewed as if a book had been torn00:02:00.750
- so the viewers move in a jumble of different authors...00:02:06.697
- We chose twenty nine authors across generations, context and text,00:02:11.509
- some of them are free artists, some of them are illustrators,00:02:19.696
- some come from the Czech Republic, some come from Berlin00:02:22.811
- although they are mostly English and so on...00:02:25.659
- As for the choice, it's no use mentioning all the names,00:02:33.888
- as it ran in a way typical of Rafani group.00:02:37.949
- We had a meeting and everyone wrote preferences about the drawings,00:02:41.015
- Zuzka concerned more with foreign artists, such us Ben Cottrell and others from abroad...00:02:46.382
- I think there's no need to say it made us happy,00:02:56.529
- we went through many studios00:02:59.343
- and we really enjoyed the work,00:03:03.696
- it doesn't represent any institutional point of view00:03:07.451
- but our attitude to a figural position on paper.00:03:10.922
- I wouldn't limit it anyhow...00:03:18.469