Another part in NJME series focuses on question why some people found their own museums and how do they see their purpose.
How does the future of a private museum look like and how does this museum differ from those financed by the state? How is this form of institution liberating and, on the other hand, what are its limits?
78 % of Czech museums and galleries are founded by state, regions and municipalities. The rest almost a quarter (22 %) accounts for museums established privately by NGOs, churches or individuals (see data of NIPOS statistics from 2014). I was interested where does the need to found private museums come from, especially in the case of villages and smaller towns where their operation is funded by one person or his family. The reasons behind the decision usually don’t lie in a desire to present one’s hobby; these museums often show what their owners find lacking, or they are to stand for the dysfunctional local museum or a gallery.
For the next part in NJME series I decided to visit Petr Schejbal in his electrotechnical museum in Přelouč which forms a part of his sell & repair shop of electronics. This part was co-created by Filip Dědic who has my gratitude for his advisory help and information on the existence of the museum in Přelouč.