Dedication of a statue “Dancer” in front of the Prosek clinic.
A dislocated statue
A classic figurative statue grounded in sport which at first sight simulates the atmosphere of stereotypical sculptural realizations with humanistic themes for a public space from the times of Normalization and that is why it will fit so well into the surroundings of a concrete piazzetta in front of a puristic architecture of hospital in the style of Brutalism of the 1980ies. Not far away in the same street in front of a sport hall Prosek there is not only formally but also thematically related statue of a „Basketball player“ made in 1983 by a typical sculptor of sport scenes Zdeněk Němeček.
Unlike his predecessors, Čapek works with a cliché purposely and thus, while minutely inspecting the „somehow suspicious“ figure, we cannot miss many humorous shifts from the socialistic realism. The artist’s intention wasn’t to create a shocking art exhibition, but to „dislocate“ gently and delicately a standard solution of those dominant features in front of prefabricated neighbourhood facilities into the genre of a humorous pop which can only a perceptive onlooker laugh at.
- ARTYČOK.TV presents00:00:03.880
- Unveiling of the statue "THE DANCER"00:00:16.342
- - Where are you from? - I'm from Germany.00:00:28.086
- I've been living here for 10 years00:00:33.714
- and I have a Czech-sounding name.00:00:36.880
- My father is an illustrator.00:00:39.638
- He emigrated in 1968.00:00:43.101
- This statue was created for a competition00:01:06.067
- of the studio of sculpture led by Kurt Gebauer,00:01:10.774
- at the Academy of Arts, Architecture and Design.00:01:15.465
- Three works were chosen.00:01:19.259
- They're supposed to be scattered00:01:22.166
- around Prague 9,00:01:25.171
- in the park and in front of this hospital.00:01:27.313